Recipe Index

Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Key Lime Pie

This recipe was given to us by Ty's Mom, Carolyn.  Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts (I believe it's also Jared Wilson's favorite).  Ty usually makes this for my birthday "cake" (my other favorite is his delicious cheesecake).  He's done some awesome variations to it too-- ask him about the Twix crust!


I can still remember eating key lime pie for the first time with my sister at Flounders in Pensacola Beach. Jean always introduced me to great food.  I can also remember eating this pie at a restaurant in Key Largo during my last Spring Break from College.  I went on a fun trip with Amy Foldes and Claire Bessire to south Florida.  What an amazing pie!  What an incredible sunset!  What an awesome trip!


1-9" pie crust, completely baked and cooled
4 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. key lime juice (yes, those small limes or in a pinch, key lime juice in the little green bottles)

Pie crust:
5 TB butter, melted
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. slivered almonds

For the crust:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients and pat down into a 9" pie pan.  Bake for 5-10 minutes.

For the filling:  In a medium bowl, combine the milk, lime juice, blend in the egg yolks.  Pour the filling into the crust.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.

**optional:  garnish with fresh whipped cream, lime slices and Ty's raspberry sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment